Friday, June 20, 2008

Tajiri Junior High School


Today was our last school visit. It was quite a grand entrance for us when we arrived. We literally had a red carpet to walk into the auditorium on, while the brass band was playing American fanfare music. That was fun! The day was a lot of fun. I got to try the koto, which is a Japanese string instrument. It was AWESOME! Then I got to try calligraphy once again. We watched the school lunch center prepare lunch for 800 kids (elementary, middle, and high school lunches.) It was so interesting to see them make such huge amounts of food, AND, they taste test their food before serving it!! Different than the USA, huh? The students also have to eat lunch in their classrooms here. That means students from each class have to carry their food in large amounts back to their classmates and serve it. You will see all these pictures above.

It was really cool to see the fencing club practice. There are girls on this team that qualified for nationals. IT WAS NO JOKE WATCHING THESE KIDS FENCE!!!! The day finished out with a nice bike ride, yummy sushi, and many things that I can't read the name of that looked good in the store!:)

Tomorrow is my home stay, and I don't know the internet situation. I will be in Tokyo on Monday night, so maybe until then.....
Mata aimasho (until we meet again!)


3 comments:

Freyda said...

We just love reading this blog!!! Each day is more exciting than the last. You are having an experience of a lifetime...how great!!!! Love, M & D

Elise said...

Thank you so much for sharing your gift of this incredible experience with us back home. I feel as if I'm really getting a taste of Japan through your lens. I am so happy for you. Keep soaking it in!

Tara Siudy said...

I pinch my self 3 times a day (at least) to see if I am really here!!!