Monday, June 16, 2008

Tea Ceremony and Osaki











Be sure to scroll down into the previous postings because I have added pictures.


Today was a long day. We travelled from Sendai yet another hour north to Osaki city. We met with the mayor and I presented him a plaque from Poughkeepsie's mayor, thanking him for hosting me in his city. We then attended a traditional tea ceremony, which was done by geisha many years ago. There's a huge ceremony to present green tea to the consumer. The woman pors the tea, mixes the powder together in a special way, and then does a series of movements with the bowl to present the tea, and the nicest side of the bowl to you. Once you bow and receive the bowl, you must turn it 2 times so that you can see the decoration on the bowl, and that your lips aren't on the painting. This is a way for you to truly enjoy all aspects of the tea and the pleasure of drinking it. It was really cool. The tea house had amazing gardens around it. It was a relaxing day. A bunch of us went to the grocery store for snacks and dinner afterward. Of course I picked up the greatest sushi and sashimi there, and enjoyed every bite! It is so much fun to try new things here. Sometimes it is a guessing game on what you get to eat. It is fun to pick something out based on the fun pictures on the package. I have been lucky not to eat anything too strange yet!




4 comments:

Freyda said...

Konichiwa! The pictures of Fuji were awesome. We feell as if we have been in Japan. I had not wanted to go there in the past but I feel differently now. You look beautiful in the kimono. We expect a Kabuki performance when you come back! It was SO great to hear your voice this AM! Love, M & D

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs.Siudy. I hope you are enjoying your sushi.We miss you and I can't wait to see you next year and hear about your trip.love Devin

Tara Siudy said...

Hey Devin! I miss you as well! I hope you are able to learn about Japan by reading my blog. This is unreal!!!! There's so much more I would love to write all of the time, but we are always on the go. Keep on checking the blog, and i will see you soon!

tae10 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.